Wednesday 2 April 2014

Socks, chocs and Shot BLOKS

It's getting closer by the day and the excitement is mounting.  I feel a bit like a hive of bees, quietly and ominously buzzing.  Suddenly, inconsequential things have taken on massive significance.  Socks for example.  I'm a little afeared of the agony of the uncushioned foot.  Didn't have any problem up till now but then on that last half marathon I suffered the unknown foot pain. Now I am surrounded by three new pairs of different types of sock and no proper time to roadtest! Hah.  Could be the least of my problems.

Last weekend was wonderful.  We hosted the club run.  I had walked it earlier in the week to check that we weren't all going to disappear in the boggy bit by the railway line.  Fortunately despite recent rain everywhere was passable.  Saturday arrived and so did the sun.  The run was very pleasant and two of our ladies, who haven't been able to join us for various reasons for quite a while, were able to come.  It was wonderful to have them both back on board.  Then back to ours for sausage buns, cake and copious tea.  Sitting in the garden for goodness sake! In March! Mr Leggy and The Young did a sterling job of providing and serving up all fodder.  The birthday celebrations just keep going.  I had made three cakes from the oracle that is - Mary Berry.  We're not worthy... we're not worthy.... 'Crunchy Top Lemon Cake' aka lemon drizzle cake aka lemony loaf. Chocolate Victoria Sandwich and - from the 'Healthy Cakes' section' - Carrot Cake'.  Healthy cakes?  Who the heck is interested in a healthy cake?  I have to confess being a tad worried about it because I'd never made it before and I'd grated the carrots without thinking about it.  When I looked in the bowl I realised that maybe I should have grated it finer and that the whole cake mixture was looking worryingly like coleslaw! It all disappeared though so it must have been OK. It was wonderful to spend time in such great company.

So now this week I have been relaxing as best I can.  This means lying around on the sofa and scoffing chocolate.  Not too much.  It's just that I have had a few very tasty treats for my birthday and I'm only human.

Talking of inconsequential things - I also realised that my waist bag was nowhere near big enough to carry all the stuff I want to have with me. Mainly because I want to have my phone and my iPod and I've calculated I'll need at least 3 packs of Shot BLOKS. I haven't got time to try out any new stuff so I've got another small bag and I've going to wear one on each hip like a gunslinger! Draw! I'll have to practise my technique, twizzling the packets round  and slamming them back in the bags.


1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about carrying stuff. I used waist bag for my phone (which I also used for music) wet wipes, ibuprofen and imodium. I tucked my gels into old ankle supports (tubigrip) and wore them on each wrist. Very easy to get at, but didn't look very professional! Came in useful for wiping rain off my face too!

    ReplyDelete