Thursday 8 May 2014

Going backwards

Well not really.  It's just that I did a half-marathon last weekend and I'll do a 10k this weekend so it seems that I'm halving my distances since the marathon. But as all mathematicians know, that means at that rate I'm never going to get to zero so that's OK. At this point some uber-geek is going to interrupt to prove me wrong.  Please don't bother otherwise you will be treated to a hard stare and a clean pair of heels.

I've been having a mixed time of it lately.  Over a week ago I was merrily scampering along with a couple of friends when all of a sudden a pain started up down my right knee. Strange? I thought.  I must say that I have been blessed with good fortune over the two and a half years I have been running.  I haven't had any problems re knees at all.  Or much else to complain about really.  Unlike the poor souls kinesthetic-taped up to the eyeballs, legs like beribboned maypoles. Mind you I wouldn't mind taping the sides of my jaws to my temples to create a cheap facelift effect, might have a beneficial effect on the race photos. Anyway there was a definite pain there.  Naturally I ignored it and went out running with the beginners at the club that night.  So the pain started up again 3 miles in. Not good.  That weekend the club had a weekend in Norfolk which was so good that I couldn't possibly go into it here, it would take AGES! Anyway on the Saturday we ran along the gorgeous Norfolk coast and guess what?  Yes the knee started moaning again at about 5 miles in. I had an appointment with The Marmaliser the following Friday and a half marathon on the Sunday so it seemed to best just to stay off the running completely. I was a bit concerned about the half marathon because I wasn't sure how that would feel anyway and now with a possible injury...  yikes it didn't bear thinking about.  So I spent the week rolling around the floor and attempting stretches and screaming away on the foam roller. I also attempted to plank which is nowhere near as successful as back in January when I was attempting The Plank Challenge.  This is where, over a month, you progress from 20 seconds planking to 5 mins.  No I didn't do it.  I got up to 1 min 30 over a couple of weeks  but I just couldn't do it for any longer and then I hate to confess I gave up.  Even my previous motivational tool was no use.  That was where, when I was trying to plank for a minute, I decided to do it over the sleeping cat knowing that there was no way I was going to collapse on top of the unfortunate creature no matter how much it hurt.  So much to my boys' horror I was balanced over the snoozing mog and as the seconds ticked by I was starting to sweat and my arms were starting to shake.  It definitely helped me achieve my goal.  I heartily recommend it.  And let me reassure you no cats were harmed in this exercise.

http://uberding.net/2011/10/10/uberall-liegen-menschen-muss-das-sein/planking-cats1/

www.little-runner-girl.com


No comments:

Post a Comment