Thursday 25 October 2012

Yay I did it!!

Whe-hay! I did it in a time of 2:20:57  including two, yes two, toilet stops.  I can't believe I've managed to do something which seemed so insurmountable just a few months ago. Talk about on a high.  What a brilliant experience.

I'd been ill the previous week so on the Thursday I decided to take to my bed and indulge in a bit of Inspector Rebus.  No it's not a euphemism, just a gripping crime novel I'd just started.  Fortunately after plenty of rest and some serious snoozing I felt much better and so the trip to Birmingham was definitely on!

Come the morning of the race I felt pretty good and no sign of the nerves that often plague me pre-race.  So I joined my fellow Pink Wave-ers and eagerly awaited our start of 11:07am.  What an atmosphere.  Plenty of live music and everyone raring to go.  Off we set and after that it was simply a matter of getting from mile marker to mile marker.  Plenty of water stations and Powerade stations, loads of support en route, little children waiting to high five you or give you sweeties, live bands playing including the awesome gospel choir and also the DJ-ing lady vicar. Plus hilarious fellow runners such as the man with the false buttocks (raising money for Bowel Cancer), the 'baby', Austin Powers running backwards talking to the forward running frog, the giant bee and Simba from The Lion King.

I kept my pace down for fear of burning out before the dreaded hills at mile 10.  But guess what?  What hills?  I didn't even notice them! I don't know what they're talking about, if they want hills they want to come to Caistor, I'll show them a hill. So when I suddenly saw a 800m sign I started sprinting - until I remembered that 800m is still actually quite a long way and decided to slow down again.  Then when I saw 200m I decided to do a Usain Bolt.  It was brilliant racing to the Finish line.

So around £200 raised for the RNLI and a great big smug smile on my face.

What's next?



No comments:

Post a Comment