Friday 21 February 2014

If you go down to the woods today

Yes you'll be sure of a big surprise alright.  Especially for two of the four of us who took a nosedive in the muddy conditions.  Mud is exceptionally soft and supportive of the knees I find.  Especially when you get up close and personal with it.  Any further forward and I'd have had a mudpack. It was a beautiful running route though and wonderful company of my three running friends.  Afterwards a slap up feast of cakes and tea courtesy of S.  So kind, S! I was in very high spirits till I checked my phone expecting a taxi request from the errant son, only to find I had missed my appointment with Mick the Marmaliser.  I was so mad with myself it nearly put me off my pecan pastry.  But not quite. Rescheduled for next Wednesday now so he will probably wrap my legs round my neck in a knot as punishment.  Sports massages are not for the faint hearted.

Monday's long run went better than last week.  17 miles consisting of a loop and a half with a bit of there and back in the middle when I met up with F for a 3 mile run in the next village.  I was trying a new fueling strategy which I'd read about.  ie take a Shot Blok after 30 mins and then every 30 mins after.  Plus I decided to drink twice as much fluid ie 1 bottle of Powerade and 1 bottle of water.  I definitely felt a little more settled and didn't have the slightly sick/ lightheaded feeling I sometimes get.  It's still bloomin' hard towards the end though and I had the additional horror of having to run past my house in order to finish the last mile.  The temptation to just go in was almost overwhelming.  Through the last half mile I actually ended up talking to myself to urge myself on.  This is how it starts I suppose. Next thing I'll be a muttering catlady at the bus stop.

Last night I entered uncharted waters - the double day run.  Yes despite doing 5 and a half miles in the woods I decided to run with the club too.  Let me explain my thinking.  I needed to do two more runs this week and yet Sat/Sun are out due to the much better reason of seeing my lovely girl. Plus I really like to run with the club.  I didn't feel too bad and the planned run was local so I knew that if I started off with them and soon realised that it wasn't a good idea I could cut it short.  Running in the dark is not my favourite I have to say.  Anyway everything felt good so I only cut the last bit.  Resting up today though, don't want to jeopardise anything.


1 comment:

  1. Awww Katy. I shivvered when I read where you had to run past your house to make the final mile up. That's happened to me a few times, notably on my last long (21 mile) training run. Very disheartening, especially when you're already cream crackered.

    ReplyDelete